The Biden administration is apparently looking to catapult the United States into a war after Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin delivered a fiery warning to North Korea on Thursday.
Austin stated that U.S. forces are ready to “fight tonight” after the dictatorship condemned military drills taking place in South Korea.
The U.S. and South Korean militaries have resumed springtime drills in South Korea after pausing exercises last February due to coronavirus concerns.
Austin discussed the U.S. military’s commitment to “denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula” and “the importance of maintaining military readiness” during a press conference Wednesday.
“Our force remains ready to ‘fight tonight,’ and we continue to make progress toward the eventual transition of wartime Operational Control to a [Republic of Korea]-commanded, future Combined Forces Command,” the defense secretary said.
He continued: “While meeting all the conditions for this transition will take more time, I’m confident that this process will strengthen our alliance.”
Diplomacy talks led by the U.S. related to North Korea’s nuclear weapons have reached a standstill because of disputes over sanctions. Experts are debating whether the United States and its allies should settle for a deal that would freeze North Korea’s nuclear activities in return for relaxing sanctions to prevent its arsenal from growing.
Earlier this week, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un warned the United States to “refrain from causing a stink,” while criticizing the U.S.-South Korean drills that her government views as an invasion rehearsal.
“We take this opportunity to warn the new U.S. administration trying hard to give off powder smell in our land,” Kim Yo Jong said in a statement to state news agency KCNA, according to Reuters. “If it wants to sleep in peace for coming four years, it had better refrain from causing a stink at its first step.”
Experts warn that North Korea could add to the already boiling tension by launching missile tests to boost its leverage in negotiation talks.
North Korea’s moribund economy is hurting because of the pandemic-related border closure that has significantly shrunk its external trade and a spate of natural disasters last summer.
After Thursday’s talks, Blinken, Austin and their South Korean counterparts said in a joint statement that North Korean nuclear and ballistic missile issues are “a priority for the alliance” and reaffirmed a shared commitment to address those issues.
Prior to this, the Biden administration had tried to reach out to the North Korean government “behind-the-scenes” but were ignored, leading to questions about Biden’s effectiveness on the world stage.
“The disclosure of the so-far unsuccessful U.S. outreach, which has not been previously reported, raises questions about how Biden will address mounting tensions with Pyongyang over its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs,” Reuters reported.
The senior Biden administration official told Reuters that the Biden administration has made multiple attempts to contact North Korea “through several channels.” The official added, “To date, we have not received any response from Pyongyang.”
Former President Trump, during his tenure proved to be much more effective in dealing with North Korea. In 2019, Trump became the first U.S. president to step into North Korea reaching across the demarcation line to shake hands with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and then, at Kim’s invitation, stepping across the border and into North Korea.
Kim, through a translator, called Trump’s decision to meet with him a “courageous and determined act.”